Here are ten things you can do to make yourself look better today!
(and most of it’s FREE!)
- If you use a lot of hair products or you have been using the same shampoo and conditioner since Def Leppard had a song in the top ten you need to Clarify your hair. They make fancy shampoos to do this but you have something in your kitchen that does an even better job- Vinegar. Mix 1 part vinegar to 1 part water and pour over wet hair then shampoo and condition as you normally would. Your hair will be softer and shinier than ever. (and I promise you won’t smell like a salad)
- Help your curls stay longer by letting them cool after you use your curling iron or hot rollers. Don’t touch them until they are completely cool.
- For a smoother, shinier blow out make sure you always use your cool setting or “cool shot” on your blow dryer after you smooth out each section.. The cool setting “sets” each section and closes the cuticle of your hair.
- Moisturize your neck! This is one of the places that shows your age and it is one of the places we forget to moisturize. If you don’t want to use your expensive face cream there dig out one of your face creams that you didn’t like as much and stuck in a drawer. Whatever you do don’t forget to take care of this sensitive skin as it will give away your age like rings on a Redwood tree.
- Oil your cuticles- keep an cuticle oil pen in your purse (Sephora makes one and so does Sally Hansen) but my special trick is A&D ointment on my nightstand to rub in my cuticles at night.
- Whiten teeth by mixing together a paste of baking soda and peroxide. Brush gently. BONUS- keep your teeth whiter when you drink things like coffee, tea and soda by using a straw. This really works!
- Soften hands by mixing together a tablespoon-ish of sugar with slightly larger amount of olive oil or baby oil and rub all over your hands for a minute or two. Wash with gentle soap and follow up with your favorite moisturizer and your hands will be baby soft. Do this once a week and get ready for some serious hand holding.
- Wear lighter lipstick or gloss if you have smaller lips. Dark lipstick on thin lips is going to make them look smaller. Lighter, brighter and even something with a slight shimmer will make your lips look larger. Here is another trick. Take a dab of a shimmery eyeshadow and put it in the center of your lower lip for evening for a sexy pout.
- The best way to apply mascara? first- don’t pump! It does nothing but introduce air into the tube and make it dry out sooner. Second, swipe tips of your lashes by holding the wand perpendicular to your lash line until they are covered. Then apply mascara as you usually would. For those of you who usually apply two coats you may even want to skip that second coat now.
- Can’t get a good night’s sleep? Here’s a better way to cover under eye circles – use concealer!Foundation is not the same as concealer and many people use it as such. Find a concealer that is close to the color of your face- don’t go too light but you can go lightER. Cover the area under your eye that is darker not necessarily the whole area. Use a gentle touch and preferably a concealer brush. Don’t forget that area on the side of your nose between your eyes that is also dark. You will be look wellrested and bright eyed. (bushy tail optional)